skip to main content

Licence summary

You need a licence from us to operate a caravan or camping site. If you have a site with both camping and caravans, you can submit a combined application.

There are no time limits to camping and caravan site licences – they will expire when the planning permission of the site expires.

Licences can be transferred to a new occupier, with our consent.

Before you apply for a licence you must have the necessary planning permission.

What happens if I don't apply for a licence?

You can be fined if you don't get a licence or break any of your licence conditions. If you break your licence conditions, your licence may be withdrawn.


Licences are not required for:

  • occasional use within the boundary of a dwelling

  • a single caravan sited for fewer than two consecutive nights for a maximum of 28 days in 12 months

  • holdings of five acres or more if used for fewer than 28 days in any 12 month period and a maximum of three caravans at a time

  • sites occupied and supervised by exempted organisations such as the Caravan Club and used for recreational purposes

  • sites of up to five caravans that are certified by an exempt organisation and which are for members only

  • meetings organised by exempted organisations

  • sites occupied by a local authority

  • sites for temporary and special purposes such as agricultural and forestry workers, building and engineering sites and travelling salesmen

  • gypsy sites occupied by county or regional councils.

Are there any restrictions?

We will not issue a caravan site licence if:

  • the site does not have formal planning permission

  • planning permission will expire within six months of the date of the application

  • the applicant has had a site licence revoked within the last three years

How do I apply?

Complete the application online. You will also need to provide a site layout plan showing:

  • the site boundaries and  

  • the proposed positions of caravans, tents, car parking, fire-fighting arrangements, sanitary facilities, refuse arrangements, water supplies and access/exits.

Apply for a Licence Online


There is no charge for licence applications for camping and caravan sites used by the public.

Fees for park homes that are permanent residential sites (also known as protected sites) are: 

Scroll for more
 Cost description      Number of pitches
   4-15    16-39    40-75    76-123    124+
 New park home licence       £366.90  £454.40  £505  £580  £629.40
 Annual licence fee  £216.50  £271.65  £313  £366.90  £421.85
 Licence transfer  £112.20  £112.20  £112.20  £112.20  £112.20
 Licence variation  £224.40  £224.40  £224.40  £224.40  £224.40
 Deposit of site rules  £56.10  £56.10  £56.10  £56.10  £56.10

Does tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means you can act as though your application has been granted if you have not heard from us within the following timeframes:

  • caravan sites - two months after we confirm we have received your application

  • caravans if planning permission is received after the licensing application is made – six weeks after we confirm we have received your application

  • camping sites - four weeks after we confirmed we have received your application.

Mobile home sites - fit and proper person register

The Mobile Homes (Requirement for Manager of Site to be Fit and Proper Person) (England) Regulations 2020 prohibit the use of land as a residential mobile home site unless the local authority is satisfied that the owner or manager of the site is a fit and proper person to manage the site.

The purpose of the fit and proper person test is to improve the standards of park (mobile) home site management.

View the Fit and Proper Person Public Register

If you need to make a fit and proper person application, please contact us.

Appeals and complaints

Appeals against a caravan site licence condition or the refusal to issue, vary or transfer a site licence can be made to the First Tier Tribunal (Property Chamber).

Appeals against a camping site licence condition or the refusal to grant a licence can be made to the local Magistrates’ court.

Consumer complaint

We advise that consumer complaints are first made to the trader, preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that does not work, further advice is available from Citizens Advice.

For complaints such as noise pollution or one licence holder complaining about another, please contact us for advice.

See the Mobile Home Park Site Rules page for information about the rules and requirements for new and existing mobile home park sites.

Caravan and mobile home sites

If you are thinking of privately renting a caravan or mobile home there are only a limited number of sites within the district that are licensed for residential accommodation. They are:

Scroll for more
Site Name Address
Blenheim House Home Parks Mere Way, Wyton, Huntingdon, PE28 2JS
Lordsway Caravan Park High Street, Alconbury, Huntingdon, PE28 4BF
Millside Marina Caravan Site, Carters Boatyard, Mill Road, Buckden, PE28 5RY
Park Lane Meadows The Avenue, Godmanchester, Cambs, PE29 2AF
Pine Hill Park Sawtry Way, Wyton, Huntingdon, PE28 2BY
Quiet Waters Caravan Park Manor Lane, Hemingford Abbots, Huntingdon, PE28 9AJ
St Ives Mobile Home Park Farthing Lane, St Ives, Cambs
The Grove Mobile Home Park The Grove, Old Hurst, Huntingdon, PE28 3AQ
The Paddock Caravan Site Ramsey Road, Warboys, Huntingdon, PE28 2RR
Upton Park Main Street, Upton, Huntingdon, PE28 5TD
Willow Walk Park Homes Banks End, Wyton, Huntingdon, PE28 2AA

Other sites are not licensed and therefore may not be compliant with relevant legislation - you would not have any rights under legislation regulating caravans and mobile home sites.