skip to main content

Licensable activities

You will need a premises licence from us if you are intending to provide any of the following:

  • selling alcohol by retail by any means. This includes selling tickets for a function and offering free drinks as part of an event

  • selling alcohol by, or on behalf of, a club. This only applies to club premises

  • regulated entertainment. This includes:

    • a performance of a play

    • an exhibition of a film

    • an indoor sporting event

    • boxing or wresting entertainment

    • live music

    • dance performance

    • playing recorded music

  • late night refreshment. This is defined as serving hot food and drinks (above room temperature) between 11pm and 5am.

Documents required when applying

You will be required to submit the following to this authority:

Please see below for further information on specific points.

To do after submission of an application

Following submission of your application, you must do the following and provide proof to this authority, otherwise your application may be rejected.

  • You must display the Notice of Application for a New Premises Licence [DOCX, 20KB] at the premises for 28 consecutive days from the day after submission. The notice must be printed on pale blue paper

  • You must also put the notice in a local newspaper within 10 working days starting from the day after the application is submitted.

You must be able to prove you have the right to work in the UK. The Immigration Act 2016 requires us to check the status of all new applicants.

In line with the current changes, we no longer accept biometric residence permit cards. You will be required to obtain a Share Code and provide this to us to allow the right to work check to be made.

The application fee will be determined on the rateable value of the premises.

If you do not know your rateable value, please see the Rateable Value checker.

Scroll for more
Rateable Value Band Application Fee
£0 to £4,300 A £100
£4,301 to £33,000 B £190
£33,001 to £87,000 C £315
£87,001 to £125,000 D £450
£125,001 and above E £635

If your premises is an open space, this will fall under a Band A and the application fee will be £100.

If your capacity is over 5,000 people there are additional costs to the application and annual fee.

Your plans do not need to be professionally drawn. However please submit in the following format:

  • the plan should be drawn in a standard scale (unless agreed otherwise with your Licensing Officer). 1 millimetre should represent 100 millimetres

  • you can use symbols to show information

  • you don't need to show areas that aren't part of the premises you are licensing

  • the area you would like to be licensed needs to be outlined in red

  • you should describe areas you intend to provide for people to drink alcohol sold or supplied by you.

The plan must show:

  • the building boundary (and the premises perimeter, if different). If relevant, show external and internal walls of the building

  • access and egress points, including any other escape routes

  • fixed structures (including furniture) or similar that may impact on people using exit or escape routes

  • the location and height of any stages or raised areas (from the floor)

  • where each licensable activity will take place (if more than one)

  • steps, stairs, elevators or lifts

  • the location of public toilets

  • the location and type of fire safety and other safety equipment

  • the location of the kitchen (if applicable).

On the day after an application is received, a 28-day consultation period begins allowing comments or 'representations' to be made about the application by the responsible authorities and any local residents or 'interested parties'. During this time, the responsible authorities will work with you to ensure your proposals are in line with the four licensing objectives.

If no comments are received during this period, the application will be deemed granted after the last date for representations and your licence will be issued and sent to you in due course.

If relevant representations are received within the 28 day consultation period, we will attempt to mediate between the parties to try and find a suitable solution. If the mediation is unsuccessful then a public hearing must be held to determine your application. You will be notified advising you when the hearing will be, who has made a representation and what the concerns are.

The public hearing will be held within 20 working days after the last date for representation. The hearing date may be extended if we consider it is in the public interest to do so.

When you make an application, the details of the application will be published on our website and the information on any licence granted will be included in a public register.

Once a licence has been granted, an annual fee is payable each year on the anniversary of the date the licence was granted. An invoice for this will be sent to the Premises Licence Holder.

The amount must be paid in full. Failure to pay will mean your premises licence is suspended and no licensable activities can continue.

Fees for premises licences are:

  • Band A - £70

  • Band B - £180

  • Band C - £295

  • Band D - £320

  • Band E - £350

Apply for a Premises Licence.

Alternatively, you can post your application to the Licensing Department, however it will be your responsibility to notify the Responsible Authorities [PDF, 0.1MB].

Does tacit consent apply?

No. This means you cannot trade until your premises licence is granted.