skip to main content

Potential Industrial Action - Friday 6 October

Huntingdonshire District Council (HDC) is preparing for planned industrial action. This is for UNISON members employed by the council.

This is in relation to a pay dispute relating to the pay award for 2023/24. If the issue is not resolved, UNISON intend to take strike action on 6 October and commence an ongoing period of work to rule from Monday 9 October. 

If industrial action does go ahead, we will have to delay green bin and bulky waste collection services on Friday 6 October to allow us to prioritise collecting your household and recycling waste. Garden waste collections that were due on Friday 6 will be moved to Saturday 7 if the action is taken by UNISON.

Most of our services will be delivered as normal, and you can stay up to date with all the latest information about any disruption to services. 

Many people who can afford to, want to buy their own home. There are many benefits, but buyers should be aware that homes are expensive and mortgage repayments, insurance, maintenance and repairs are sometimes greater than rental costs. A home may lose value and selling a property can take a long time, depending on market conditions.

Estate agents

Most estate agents in Huntingdonshire advertise in the local press and on websites such as Rightmove, Zoopla and On The Market.

GOV.UK: Buying or selling your home

Low cost home ownership

Mortgage repayments and high deposits mean that home ownership is out of reach for many. For some, shared ownership or one of the other low cost home ownership schemes may provide a more affordable way to buy all or part of a home.

View Help to buy and ownership schemes.

Right to Acquire

The Right to Acquire scheme allows some housing association tenants to buy their home at a discount. Visit the Right to Acquire website for more information and to apply online.

Mortgage arrears and repossession

Our housing advice officers can offer advice about how to deal with mortgage arrears and the threat of repossession.

The National Homelessness Advice Service (NHAS) has published advice about mortgage arrears and you can find out about repossession on the GOV.UK website.

If you’re a homeowner getting certain income-related benefits you might be able to get help towards interest payments. See Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) on the GOV.UK website for more information.