skip to main content

Privately rented properties

Any issues you have with repairs to your property should be raised with your landlord in writing. You should keep copies of all correspondence for reference. The housing charity Shelter has produced a template letter you can use to ask your landlord to carry out repairs.

If you don't receive a satisfactory response from your landlord then we may be able to help. You can report poor privately rented housing conditions by emailing or calling 01480 388302.

An officer may visit you to carry out an assessment of the property using the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS). If the assessment finds significant housing hazards then the officer will take action to make sure the property meets an acceptable standard. The assessment will not, however, result in a change to any housing application or banding.

Social rented properties

The decent homes standard is a minimum standard that all social rented housing must meet. Social rented homes must:

  • be free of health and safety hazards

  • be in a reasonable state of repair

  • have reasonably modern kitchens, bathrooms and boilers

  • be reasonably insulated.

If you feel that your social housing does not meet all of these standards then you should first report the matter to your housing association. The Shelter website has information about how long repairs should take and the actions you can take if your landlord doesn't respond promptly.

You can get further advice by calling 01480 388302 or emailing

GOV.UK: A Decent Home - Definition and Guidance


Many properties are affected by condensation and associated mould growth, particularly in the colder months of the year. Condensation is caused by too much moisture within a property and can generally be improved by reducing the amount of moisture produced and increasing the rate of ventilation or temperature. You can find further guidance in the Controlling Damp and Condensation in Your Home [PDF, 1.5MB] booklet.

Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms

Landlords have certain legal requirements regarding smoke and carbon monoxide alarms in privately let residential properties. You can find out more on our Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms page. 

Empty properties

Report an Empty Property

Dangerous properties

If you are worried that a property is not safe due to a risk of collapse you should report it to us. You can find information on our Building Controls' Dangerous Structures page.