skip to main content
Environmental Issues

We carry out work on trees and hedges on council-owned land only. Please refer to the Tree Maintenance page for information and advice about requesting work to trees on council land.

There are 2 ways you can submit a form to report an issue with a Huntingdonshire District Council (HDC) Owned Tree - via the customer portal or as a guest.

If you have a MyHuntingdonshire customer portal account or would like to create one, click on the Report an Issue with an HDC Owned Tree via the Customer Portal button below. Then sign in or register, and scroll down to the 'Outdoors and Trees - Report a Tree Issue form'. Your personal details will be filled in for you and you will be able to track the progress of your requests and save partially completed forms. 

Report an Issue with an HDC Owned Tree via the Customer Portal (Recommended)
You can also submit a form as a guest. However, you will not be able to track or receive feedback on your request. Also, our customer services team will only be able to provide limited support if you submit your form outside of the customer portal.
Report an Issue with an HDC-Owned Tree


Frequently asked questions

Unfortunately, we cannot get involved in any dispute or mediation over trees which we do not own.

If you need help with any matter concerning trees on private property you should consult a solicitor or your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

We only keep records of land we own or maintain and do not hold records of private land ownership. If you don’t know who owns the land (and the tree(s)), you can carry out a land search through the Land Registry.

All trees in private ownership are the responsibility of the owner of the land on which they grow, whether they are subject to statutory tree protection. If you have freehold ownership of land on which a tree grows you are responsible for it, unless you have leased the land to a third party who, through the terms of the lease, has accepted this responsibility. We do not have responsibility for, or undertake work to, privately owned trees.

Tree owners owe a duty of care to all third parties and are liable at all times for any nuisance or damage the tree causes. If you are aware of a defect in your tree and it subsequently causes damage, you may be held liable for negligence. The duty of care extends even to persons who may trespass onto your land.

If you are concerned about the condition of a tree in your garden you should seek advice from a qualified tree contractor or arboricultural consultant.

Under common law, you are allowed to prune any branches from trees and hedges overhanging your land, and also roots growing under your land up to your boundary without the consent of the owner. However, you must not trespass on your neighbour's land to do this.

You must also offer to return the branches and any fruit which is attached or has fallen on to your land. You must exercise reasonable care when carrying out the work, or asking others to do the work to the tree, as failure to do so may lead to you becoming liable for negligence if the work you carry out, such as cutting roots, causes the tree to die or become dangerous.

Common law rights do not apply if the tree is protected by a TPO or is in a conservation area. In this case, you must first make an application and receive consent in writing from us before any work takes place, including work to branches which extend over your property. You can apply for the necessary consent and do not have to rely on your neighbour or the tree owner to do this. We advise anyone that considers pruning a tree overhanging their garden to seek professional advice from a tree contractor or arboricultural consultant.

There is no right to light in law. Any case in respect of loss of light must be proven in the Civil Court. If successful, an injunction may be served by the Court requiring the offending trees to be reduced in height or restricting their further growth. Court action is likely to be expensive and we strongly advise against it.

Nothing except speak to your neighbour and ask him/her to remedy the situation. There is no right to a view.

There is no law to stop anyone planting or growing a tree anywhere on their property. There is also no law restricting the height of trees.

However, anyone who plants a poisonous tree so close to a boundary that its branches grow over that boundary and are eaten by a neighbour's livestock may be held liable for damages. If, however, a neighbour's livestock reach over to the tree owner's side of the boundary to eat the leaves, the tree owner will most likely not be liable unless they have a legal responsibility to maintain the boundary.

Cambridgeshire County Council (CCC) is responsible for the removal or cutting back of trees, shrubs and hedges that obstruct or endanger highway users. This could be growth blocking a footpath, hanging low over a road, or interfering with street lights, traffic lights or road signs.

You can report a highway problem online or call CCC on 0345 045 5212.

No. There is no legal right to TV reception and interference is not, at present, a legal nuisance as defined in law. You will need to move or re-site your satellite dish.

If you believe your property is being damaged, directly or indirectly, by tree roots, you are best advised to consult an arboricultural consultant or a structural engineer.

There will usually be evidence of damage such as deformation, bowing or cracking of walls, uneven surfacing or blocked drains. If this is the case, you should notify your building insurer who may carry out further investigation and negotiate with the tree owner and their insurer. In cases where damage is proven, the tree owner or their insurer is likely to be liable.