skip to main content
Environmental Issues

Upgrade of Interactive Maps

We are currently dealing with an upgrade to our website that includes various maps. These include Conservation Area and Listed Buildings, Tree Preservation Orders and Flood Alleviation. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Do I need a permit?

To operate certain industrial processes and commercial activities with the potential to pollute air, water and land, an Environmental Permit is required from the local authority. This is a requirement of the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016 (As Amended) and includes activities such as manufacturing using organic solvents, mobile crushers, vehicle respraying, cement works, petrol filling stations and dry cleaners.

The permit sets out pollution limits and measures to prevent and control pollution.

Our Environmental Protection team is currently responsible for regulating around 80 processes across the district.

Types of permit

There are three types of permit:

Part A(1) permits

These are regulated by the Environment Agency and cover emissions to air, land, water, energy  and water usage. Industries that are the most polluting come under this category.

Part A(2) permits

We regulate these permits, which cover emissions to air, land, water, energy  and water usage. Industries seen as a medium risk to the environment are included in this category.

Part B permits 

We regulate these permits, which cover emissions to air only. Lesser polluting industries are in this category.

How do I apply?

Visit the GOV.UK website for information on how to apply for a Part A(1) permit.

Email to apply for a Part A(2) or Part B permit.

Fees and charges

The fees for Environmental Permitting mainly consist of a one-off application fee, followed by an annual subsistence fee. Some processes may also be required to have other one-off fees, including some types of variation, surrender and transfer of permits to another operator.

Environmental Permitting fees are determined by Defra on an annual basis and vary from one type of business to another. They also vary depending on the environmental performance, which is calculated using a risk assessment method devised by Defra and based on inspection outcome.

View information regarding charging scheme for Part A2 processes and small waste incinerators.

View information regarding charging scheme for Part B processes.

Public register information

You can view a list of processes regulated by the council [XLSX, 24Kb] under the Environmental Permitting Regulations.

For further information and to arrange access to view documents on the Environmental Permitting public register, please contact

Documents relating to The Environment Agency 'Part A1' activities are available on the Environment Agency public register website.