Licence summary

You need a licence from us to keep certain dangerous wild animals.

See the full list of animals you need a licence for.

What happens if I don't apply for a licence?

You can be fined up to £2,000 if you keep an animal covered by the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 without a licence or do not comply with the conditions of the licence.

Are there any restrictions?

You cannot apply for a licence if you:

  • are under 18 years of age

  • have been disqualified from keeping any dangerous wild animal.

How do I apply?

Please contact us to apply for a licence.


The licence cost is made of two parts:

  • the cost to the council (£141.25) and

  • the cost of a veterinary inspection (this may vary depending on the work involved).

The licence and associated fees need to be renewed every two years.

Where extra visits are required to investigate if you are meeting the conditions of the licence, a further charge of £97 per additional officer/visit plus any third party costs (such as vets’ fees) may be payable when you renew your licence.

Does tacit consent apply?

No. This means you cannot keep a dangerous wild animal without a licence.

Appeals and complaints

If you are refused a licence or want to appeal against a licence condition, you can appeal to the local Magistrates’ court.

Consumer complaint

We advise that consumer complaints are first made to the trader, preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that does not work, further advice is available from Citizens Advice.

For complaints such as noise pollution or one licence holder complaining about another, please contact us for advice.