skip to main content

Potential Industrial Action - Friday 6 October

Huntingdonshire District Council (HDC) is preparing for planned industrial action. This is for UNISON members employed by the council.

This is in relation to a pay dispute relating to the pay award for 2023/24. If the issue is not resolved, UNISON intend to take strike action on 6 October and commence an ongoing period of work to rule from Monday 9 October. 

If industrial action does go ahead, we will have to delay green bin and bulky waste collection services on Friday 6 October to allow us to prioritise collecting your household and recycling waste. Garden waste collections that were due on Friday 6 will be moved to Saturday 7 if the action is taken by UNISON.

Most of our services will be delivered as normal, and you can stay up to date with all the latest information about any disruption to services. 

What help can I get when I start work?

If you have been receiving Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based), Incapacity Benefit, Employment Support Allowance or Severe Disablement Benefit and this has stopped because: 

  • you or your partner have started work or self employment

  • you or your partner have received an increase in pay

  • you or your partner have received an increase in the hours you work to 16 hours or more, then, you may be able to receive an extended payment.

What is an Extended Payment?

An Extended Payment is an additional four weeks Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support paid at the rate paid in the last benefit week before you started work. The extended payment can still be made even if you move to another address to start work, but the amount of the extended payment may be different, this will depend on where you move.

How do I qualify for an Extended Payment?

The main qualifications for an extended payment are: 

  • the job or increased hours must be expected to last for 5 weeks or longer

  • when the claim for extended payment is made you must be aged under 60

  • you or your partner must have been receiving Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based), Incapacity Benefit, Employment Support Allowance (Income Related) or Severe Disablement Allowance continuously for 26 weeks before starting work or increasing the working hours.

All these conditions must be met to be entitled to the Extended Payment. In certain circumstances we may have to check with the Job Centre Plus to confirm entitlement to the various qualifying benefits for the 26 weeks.

How do I claim an Extended Payment?

You need to tell us if:

  • you or your partner start work/self-employment for 16 hours or more per week, or that

  • you or your partners hours or earnings are about to increase

  • the work or the increase in pay is expected to last 5 weeks or more.

You can do this by phoning or writing.

What happens after my extended payment comes to an end, or if I do not qualify for an extended payment?

You may still qualify for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support based on your new income details. You will need to give us full details of your new income and provide proof of you and your partners' earnings, benefits and capital.

Do not delay in returning all the necessary information; even if you don't have all the necessary proof, otherwise you could lose benefit.