skip to main content

Industrial Action - Friday 6 October

Huntingdonshire District Council (HDC) is preparing for planned industrial action. This is for all UNISON members employed by the council.

This is in relation to a pay dispute relating to the pay award for 2023/24. If the issue is not resolved, they then intend to pursue a period of industrial action in the form of an ongoing period of work to rule from Monday 9 October. 

We are currently assessing what impact there will be on our services. However, we have had to make the difficult decision to delay green bin and bulky waste collection services on 6 October.

Stay up to date with all the latest information about any disruption to services. 

A non-dependant is someone who is aged over 18 and who normally lives with you. This may be an adult son, daughter, relative or friend.

Boarders, sub-tenants and people jointly responsible for the rent or council tax with you are not non-dependants

Does the money paid by non-dependants for their keep, count as income for Housing Benefit purposes?

No, we do not use the money paid by a non-dependant to you. Instead, we use fixed deductions to reduce your Housing Benefit based on the circumstance and gross income of each non-dependant(s).

For non-dependant couples we only make one deduction based on the gross joint income for the non-dependant couple.

When are deductions not made?

We do not make deductions for any non-dependant if the person claiming Housing Benefit or their partner is:

  • registered blind

  • getting Attendance Allowance or Constant Attendance Allowance

  • getting Disability Living Allowance Care element at any rate.

Or if the non-dependant:

  • is aged under 18 - but a deduction will be made from his/her 18th birthday

  • is aged under 25 and getting Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance (Income-Based) or Employment Support Allowance (Income-Related) in the assessment phase – Housing Benefit only

  • is doing a youth training scheme

  • is going to college as a full time student

  • is still at school and child benefit remains in payment for them

  • normally lives elsewhere.

Changes in circumstances?

Once you start to receive a benefit, you must tell us straight away of any changes in your circumstances. This is very important where we are making a non-dependant deduction on your claim. You can report your changes in circumstances.

If you are aged 65 or over and non-dependants live with you

If you are aged 65 or over we will not reduce your benefit until six months after the date of change. This will only happen where:

  • a non-dependant moves in with you – and will mean you get less benefit

  • a non-dependant’s income changes giving you less benefit because a higher non-dependant deduction is being made.

However, if a change to a non-dependant means us giving you more benefit, then the normal rules about the applying changes in circumstances will be used.

If you are not sure what you must tell us about, tell us anyway and we will let you know exactly how it will affect your claim.

Weekly non-dependant deductions appropriate for 2023/2024

Housing Benefit Deductions

Scroll for more
Income type Weekly deduction
Aged over 18 and working with gross weekly income of £511.00 or more


Aged over 18 and working with gross weekly income between £410.00 to £510.99


Aged over 18 and working with gross weekly income between £308 to £409.99


Aged over 18 and working with gross weekly income between £236.00 to £307.99


Aged over 18 and working with gross weekly income between £162.00 to £235.99


Aged over 18 and working with gross weekly income less than £162.00


Aged 18 – 24 who receives Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance Income Based. £0
Aged 18-24 receiving Employment Support Allowance (Income Related) during assessment phase only £0
Pensioners not getting Pension Credit


For all other non-dependants aged over 18, including those on Employment Support Allowance (Main Phase Income Related)


* working is defined as 16 hours per week or more.